Growing up, I remember my dad was never a huge chocolate fan(exact opposite of me) He likes pie and tarts. Lots of fruit desserts! This is right up his alley with a not to sweet cake fresh strawberries and the whipped cream, isn’t very sweet at all!! This is such a traditional cake!! My dad always says he loves simple and elegant and that is the definition of this cake!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeh, to pull the elegant off a put a rose next to it! We had 2 roses and one was dying so I took the petals and made it look nice and ready for a picture.
This is such a moist cake and the whipped cream soaks on a little to make it nice and sift. You have probably had strawberry shortcake but you haven’t had this one! Like all my pictures? I have been trying to get better with pictures and I have like atleast 4 for the strawberry shortcake!!!
Most of my recipes have pictures today but not all! Sorry, but I ate them all before I took the picture. I could just take a picture of my stomach!!!!!!!(Inside joke)!!!
I told you have I have a bunch of pictures of this!!!!!!!! They are all really simular of the same cake but they all look good!!!! Y’all want to see a top angle picture? Sure you do hold on……
Looking good right?! To decorate it I just spread some whip cream, and put strawberries on it! It looks homemade in a really good way!!!! This recipe makes 2 8 inch cakes. You cut the cake in half lengh wise so The strawberry shortcake is only one cake and you can wrap the other and put it in the freezer!!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- For the whip cream-
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350, Butter and flour two 8-inch pans
- Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy in a electric mixer
- On medium speed add eggs one at a time, sour cream, both zest,and vanilla, Mix
- Sift together flour,cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. On low speed,slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine until smooth.
- Pour the batter into pans smooth tops with a spatula and bake in middle oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 30 minutes, then put on a wire rack
- To make filling for ONE cake-
- Mix in a mixer or by hand till firm, Add sugar and vanilla. Slice one cake. Slice one cake in half. Place one half on a plate. Spread half of the whip cream on top. Put on sliced strawberries.Stack the other half on top and cover with remaining cream and strawberries! Serve and enjoy!!!!