(Photo credit: jazzijava)
(Photo credit: jazzijava)
When I was younger, my mom made this fabulous coconut cake. It was moist, the frosting was creamy, the coconut was sweet. Nothing, could top it!! It really was something!!! I don’t even like coconut! Well, I never did but lately I have liked all the coconut foods I have been eating. So I don’t know if I like coconut. But anyway, This cake is amazing, the cake is light and fluffy. My favorite frosting(besides chocolate) cream cheese, goes amazing with the coconut cake! Just saying, it actually is coconut cake with coconut in it. Not just a vanilla cake with coconut on top. It is actually a coconut cake. The balance of sweetness is perfect. The cake isn’t very sweet just a little from he shredded coconut. The frosting is cream cheese so it is sweet but not as sweet as vanilla (if it is too sweet for you, add almond extract) the real sweetness comes from the coconut on the outside. It is delicious!!
So, I don’t have videos or anything. But I wanted to give of a few tips on decorating. So,
- Spread the icing with a metal spreader
- To Make smoother, spread up and down after coating whole cake
- Frosting is like glue, take a handful of coconut and press lightly on cake, Coat the whole thing in coconut
Those were just a few tips. Make sure the entire cake is covered in coconut. Not just the top. You want a bite of the sweet coconut in every slice!!
My Aunt Loved this cake. She lived in California but when ever she came down, we would make this cake. Every Time. We would always have left overs and we would eat it for breakfast the next say. I will tell you, it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good cold!!! The frosting is cold, the coconut gets another texture and the cake is chilled!! Delicious!!!
- 3 sticks of butter, room temperature,
- 2 cups of sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
For the frosting-
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Grease a pan
- In a electric mixer cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a spatula . Bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- For the frosting, in a electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract on low speed. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a plate, top side down, and spread with the frosting.
- Place the second layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides.
- Put coconut all over the cake
Adapted from- Food Network, Ina Garden
Photo Credit-Sherri O
OMG!!!!!!!!!! Help me! I don’t think I have ever told you this but I have a LOVE for cream puffs. I love cream puffs!OMG,OMG I feel the tears!I want to try because I love them so much. A lot of people, when they bake they make brownies,cake,cupcake,cookies. A lot of people never do pastries like cream puffs,eclairs, dough cups and filling. I will be honest, Same with me. When I have sweet Saturdays I usually make cake and cookies and brownies, stuff like that. What is so special if I make it like every Saturday anyway? Nothing right’. So these are extra special!! I’m loving it. If you watch food network and cooking channel and all the baking shows, they make these things look extremely hard. To make a cream puff is simple. Like a cake, they make it and they pipe it and use fondant and me, well, I just spread it and put sprinkles on. Well, sometimes a pipe because I love decorating cake.Anyway,the presentation just looks so unique and difficult when it is really not. Like for the chocolate sauce, I just drizzled it on. A lot of people here the word pastry and get all freaked out. Well don’t be for this. A 5 year old could make this.So a lot of you might ask, “what kind of filling”. I know pretty much all cream puffs have the same filling but people do ask this. It is a whipped cream filling. Which goes amazing with the chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m loving it!
The dough sandwich outside part taste amazing. It isn’t sweet but more
floury. But it is NOT dry. The filling gives it that dessert sweet
flavor.Then the chocolate gives it a chocolate rich dessert flavor. As a
garnish I finished it off with powdered sugar!These words are like on
the type of my tongue.You can’t describe these, you have to make them to
believe how good they are!!
I Love to eat pastries. I love canollis, cream puffs, eclairs, lobster tails, all that stuff. I love to make desserts but when it comes to pastries, not my hot shot. I can make them but only by recipes. So I am sighting my sources and saying this is not my recipe. But it is delicious!!
Lets get this thing started!!
- Prep- 15 minutes
- Cook- 1 hour
- Ready in 1 hour 15 minutes
- Makes 12 medium cream puffs
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 450
- In medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add butter and stir as it melts, then
return it to a boil. Add flour and salt,stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, stirring after each until smooth.Put on a cookie sheet
- Bake 15 minutes in oven then lower heat to to 325 and bake 25 minutes Remove puffs from oven, cut in half and the remove dough from the center
- Put puffs in cooling oven, for 20 minutes Cool completely .
- In medium bowl, whip cream with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir in
vanilla and sugar. Fill puffs with whipped cream. Melt chocolate chips
in microwave or slowly over low heat. Drizzle melted chocolate on cream puffs, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe adapted from-ALLrecips, dessert Valentines day-section,
Belgian waffles with strawberries (Photo credit: charclam)
I love waffles. I rather eat them for breakfast
then any thing else. They are easy filling and delicious. I love them.
If you have ever put whipped cream and strawberry’s you probably know
it is the best waffle you can ever eat and if you have never had it you
are completely missing out. You have a sweet fluffy waffle and some
whipped cream and fresh strawberry’s OMG it rocks. I wish I had time to make it every day and I would soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo eat it.
My family loves any warm
breakfast you throw at them but this is a favorite.
You will love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Now I want a waffle) this is
one of my favorite waffles and it will be yours your friends and your
family to. All the ingredients in this are put in so it will be a sweet
fluffy waffle and it worked. I will tell you there is nothing better
then waking up on a Sunday morning and having a nice and yummy warm
breakfast which is the perfect definition of this. I will always be .I
am always looking forward to the weekend so I can make and eat this
because that is how good it is. I know you will like this and it saves
you time and money because now you do not need to go out to a restaurant
to eat a perfect waffle.
Sometimes, my family will buy frozen waffles. Mostly over the school year when I don’t have time to make a hot breakfast every day. Well I really don’t like them. They are made in the toaster and they don’t taste good. They are not light and fluffy like they should be. So I made these to tell my self waffles don’t really taste like that. Once I made and ate them I felt better.
When I was younger me and my family would go strawberry picking. We went to this farm that was 2 minutes away. I have still never tasted a strawberry as fresh, sweet, and juicy as them. We would get up to 17 pounds of strawberries. We used to make a lot of waffles when we did that I would put a bunch of strawberries on top, best breakfast ever!!
Lets do it!!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2cups of warm milk
- 1/3 cup of butter (melted)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 cups of fresh strawberry’s washed
- 1 can of whipped cream
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron to desired temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the
milk mixture into the flour mixture; beat until blended.
- Ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp.
- Cut the washed strawberry’s and put them on the waffle along with the whipped cream
Over the winter break I went to Charelston for two days. You go to Charleston to eat and that is honest.We took tours, saw landmarks, horse and bugge,and we ate. We went to this breakfast place called Virginias.It opened at 10:00am and we got there at like 9:55.So we got in and we looked behind us and there was a line outside the door! This place was packed!!!!! But anyway I ordered french toast. You were allowed to pick anything to put on it like strawberries,blueberries,powdered sugar,pecan syrup,or peaches. I really don’t know why I picked peaches not strawberries but I did. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing.They gave me 8 pieces of the french toast and I ate it in like 3 minutes.This was good stuff.I just loved it!!! I couldn’t believe it! So I kept thinking about my blog and how people would love it. There is one part I added though. The whipped cream. You could make it but it can take a long time which brings me too another story. When I was in sixth grade one day I came home and my sister Rebecca who went too the same school walked in the door and was like I want whipped cream. Really she did and I was like “okay random, but lets do it”. We could find the applience you hook into the mixer to make whip cream so we did it by hand. That took a while!!!! We made like 2 tablespoons of whipped cream so wasn’t all that worth it. But we added sugar to make it sweet. So after that not the most excited person making whip cream so I bought it. But you want to make it go ahead.
The french bread is one of my favorite types of bread so I love French toast. With the little brown sugar and cinnamon it has a sweet flavor and OMG I’m like drooling right now. But the star of this is the peaches.AH The peaches they are ripe and juicy and add great flavor. When you bight into this and you get the french toast, whip cream, and the sweet spices, plus the toast you will eat that whole thing in less the 3 minutes. I know it sounds like a lot when you see how much prep time there is but its overnight so don’t worry.
- Prep time- 9 hours
- Cook time-10 minutes
- Total time- 9 hours 10 minutes
- Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can sliced peaches, drained
- 12 slices French bread
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 can whipped cream ( pick your favorite brand)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish, and tilt the dish to cover the entire bottom. Place peaches in a layer over the sugar coating,then a layer of blueberries, then top with slices of French bread. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Slowly pour over the bread slices to coat evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking . Preheat the oven to 350.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bread is golden brown. Put a scoop of whipped cream on top of each slice(or as much as you want)
Picture Adapted from Allrecipes “Bizziemomas”
OMG!!! Pasta with creamy sauce with juicy shrimp!! What can be better? Some people don’t care what pasta they use, they think they all taste the same. Well they don’t. They have different texture. For example, pastas like fettucine are thick, angel hair is really thin.
Since we have the creamy sauce that is milk and cheese, I decided to add garlic shrimp. Shrimp give it a meat poultry flavor and the garlic was just needed. You know when you eat something good and all the components go good together but it is missing something. That is what I felt the first time I made this that is what happened. I just sautéed thee shrimp with salt and pepper. It needed another flavor to balance of the sauce. The thin pasta is good with this dish because it is not to over whelming in flavor. It coats well with the sauce. Ah, the sauce, creamy, flavorful, delicious!! You could use this sauce on any pasta dish. Chicken fettucine, fettucine alfredo, etc.
Lets talk sides. I love to pair this dish with garlic bread. Slice french bread, but olive oil, minced garlic, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a little butter and you will have the best garlic bread for the best dish!! Well, would you look at that! Two recipes in one post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impressive! Well I don’t feel like typing anymore so lets close it up!
Prep- 30 minutes
Ready in-1 hour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Fresh Basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes and drain
- Melt 1.5 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in milk and cream;,simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in pesto, parsley, garlic, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet. Saute shrimp, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt for 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink.
- In a large bowl, toss pasta, shrimp pour sauce over, garnish with Basil and Parmesan cheese
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
My BFF Malina loves chicken salad. So this one is for her!! What I like about this is, you can put what ever you want on
your sandwich on whatever bread. I put it on whole wheat bread with
lettuce and tomato!!! But some people but other things on theirs. Lots
of people put it on rye bread! What ever you like! My myself, I am a
pretty big chicken salad fan. I love all the textures. The onions and
celery add a nice crunch and a amazing flavor. This way you don’t just
have chicken and mayo. You know what is nice about this? Go on think,
I can wait. Its healthy. Ask yourself, how can something this good be healthy? Well the chicken has protein, the onions and celery are veggies, the bread gives you wheat, and the things you put on the sandwich with the chicken salad is good to!!!! This is a great dish to serve at a party. Put a bowl on the table full of chicken salad, then put out lots of breads and vegetables and have people make their own sandwich. This is great for a picnic to. So try it!!!!!!! You now the best way to make this. With left over chicken. It helps so much. I lovemaking big roast chicken with gravy,potatoes, onions, and bread. But never finish all the chicken in one dinner. So I make it into chicken
salad, everybody loves and we finish it all so we have room in the
fridge for other stuff!
You can really make this your own by putting it on any bread with any toppings! This is the most easy dish you will ever make!! All you do is mix everything in a bowl and put it on some bread! Its a quick and easy lunch, dinner, or snack!!Its really good if you toast your bread, it gives a warm flavor and crunchy texture!
There are thousands of chicken salad recipes. You might think “what is so good about this one”? I will tell you. It comes from the heart. I made this recipe with love for my BFF and when ever you do that, it rocks!! Wow, that was inspiring, I’m so proud of me for making that up! GO ME!!!!!!!! OK, lets do it!
Ready in- 5 minutes
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can Swanson® Premium Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Ground black pepper
- Slices of your favorite bread
- Any veggie you want to put on(I put on lettuce and tomato)
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl
- Put on bread along with any other ingredients you want to put on
- Cut in half