When I was younger, my mom made this fabulous coconut cake. It was moist, the frosting was creamy, the coconut was sweet. Nothing, could top it!! It really was something!!! I don’t even like coconut! Well, I never did but lately I have liked all the coconut foods I have been eating. So I don’t know if I like coconut. But anyway, This cake is amazing, the cake is light and fluffy. My favorite frosting(besides chocolate) cream cheese, goes amazing with the coconut cake! Just saying, it actually is coconut cake with coconut in it. Not just a vanilla cake with coconut on top. It is actually a coconut cake. The balance of sweetness is perfect. The cake isn’t very sweet just a little from he shredded coconut. The frosting is cream cheese so it is sweet but not as sweet as vanilla (if it is too sweet for you, add almond extract) the real sweetness comes from the coconut on the outside. It is delicious!!
So, I don’t have videos or anything. But I wanted to give of a few tips on decorating. So,
- Spread the icing with a metal spreader
- To Make smoother, spread up and down after coating whole cake
- Frosting is like glue, take a handful of coconut and press lightly on cake, Coat the whole thing in coconut
Those were just a few tips. Make sure the entire cake is covered in coconut. Not just the top. You want a bite of the sweet coconut in every slice!!
My Aunt Loved this cake. She lived in California but when ever she came down, we would make this cake. Every Time. We would always have left overs and we would eat it for breakfast the next say. I will tell you, it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good cold!!! The frosting is cold, the coconut gets another texture and the cake is chilled!! Delicious!!!
- 3 sticks of butter, room temperature,
- 2 cups of sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
For the frosting-
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 sticks of butter
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 6 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Grease a pan
- In a electric mixer cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl once during mixing. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the 4 ounces of coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and smooth the top with a spatula . Bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, until the tops are browned and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a baking rack for 30 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a baking rack to finish cooling.
- For the frosting, in a electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract on low speed. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a plate, top side down, and spread with the frosting.
- Place the second layer on top, top side up, and frost the top and sides.
- Put coconut all over the cake
Adapted from- Food Network, Ina Garden